Monday, April 23, 2012

A Winter Wake Up Call

This morning, for the first time since the chill started setting in, I really felt Winter coming to stay. I looked out the window at the grey skies and felt the cold as I opened the covers. Needless to say I pulled them right back up and slept in for half an hour more. As I lay, I began to think of how I was going to get through the season, (as I do every year) how it pains me to pull out my coats and coop my feet up in boots. So I've decided to get inspired, to find out how everyone else is translating Winter trends into fabulous street style, and hopefully brighten up my Winter blues. Where better to start than New York! These snaps are from the street before and after shows at New York fashion week Fall/ Winter 2011.


I'm loving coloured skinnies right now, perfect to brighten up your Winter basics. They'll continue on for another round next Summer so splurging a little for this season can be justified as planning for the next too..


Love love leather! Always great for Winter, in pants, skirts or shorts.. Delish.


Contrasting hard and soft always works when trying to pull off effortless style. The luxury of a statement coat, femininity in a soft maxi skirt and the harshness of a stacked ankle boot.. To die!


For me the key to looking on trend this season is in the ability to mix it up. We're talking textures, prints, leather, furs, all of it. I love this look and the others above, all for throwing fur in the mix, I've never been a major fan but over sized faux fir coats are everywhere right now and I'm definitely warming up to them! The mix of the polka dots and the metallic skirt along with the other elements are perfection!

I love me some leopard print.. This sheer maxi skirt is an unexpected choice and it's totally working for me. I'm so glad we're seeing the maxi skirt sticking around. It's a clever way to keep a look feminine when we're all drawn to pants when it's cold.

Military seems to almost never go out of style. Belting the jacket at the waist keeps it from being too 'boxy',and the tweaking of the collar and feminine touch of the sling bag are smart choices. This ensemble has it got it going on! 

Another item I've made friends with this season is the cape. This coat with caped shoulders is fab!

Lady-like structured bags are hit. Perfect for a pop of colour or some feminine flair.

I can't say much about this one, only that I love it! It's out there and probably best not to be replicated on just anyone. One thing I can recommend from this look is the sock-sandal combo. Yup, it's real, it's happening, it's now. Please note: Sandals should have a heel and no holes in the socks please! Keep away from the Birkenstocks.


Coral is the perfect pop this Winter. With camel or grey it's definitely a do.

Wide-legged pants are a must have.

Everyone should own a parka, I love how this one comes alive with a printed legging, high-heeled hiking boots and a red lip. Yummy..

Tea dresses, warmed up with tights and the best of the seasons ankle boots will bring out the 'girly' inside us all.

The mix of textures in this coat alone are totally amaze!

I have to say that year after year it's as if the repetition of trends has led us to throw all rules out the window. There are few colours that don't go together anymore, we no longer have season specific fashion, each one seems to bleed into the next. It begs us to keep pushing boundaries, as if to say, I've given you all the tools. now see how much you can do. It's all been done in fashion there's very little left to be 'invented'. What makes it so exciting now, is that 'anything goes'. It's up to you now to decide just how far you want to..

Stay fabulous fashionistas!

xoxo
Melissa Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment