Thursday, April 19, 2012

Buying The 'Bread And Milk' Can Be Ever So Enlightening

My two 'bread and milk' fashion buys each month are the Elle mag and Marie Claire. I can't live without them and around the 15th of each month I get 'antsy pants' itching to get to the store to find them! If ever, and this is quite often, they hit the shelves late, it's like a devastating blow to my chest. Another day without my fashion fix. Yes I can read up on line, but seriously, there's nothing can match the sound of a glossy page squeezed as you lick-and-flip through fabulous fashion spreads. Shock and horror this morning, when waking up and wandering why I felt something was missing, why i felt lacking in inspiration, I realised the answer. It's the 19th and I haven't yet bought my must-have monthlies!

It's true, this week the fashion fairy has yet to sprinkle her magic my way and I'm feeling less than enthusiastic about finishing up the designs for the SomersetJane Winter show. While most of them are already in production I've been back and forth over a few items that I'm in love with, but that I'm worried are too designed or need to be more wearable. I hate that the story has to end with retail! Always enough to dampen the mood. Anyhow, almost as if to prove to me that I can't be without my Elle, I opened to the front and the editor's note to read this from Jackie Burger.

'As we witness the blurring of fashion seasons, and as the runway moves from the ramp to the street and social media give a platform to the new arbiters of style, the challenge is to leave behind the outdated preoccupation with what to wear - and instead to wear what you like, but to wear it well.'

I took from her this. No matter how hard I try to make my label part of a trend, to make it mainstream, to up the sales, that is not what it's about, and that's not what I want to be about. Trends right now are a fusion of anything goes. What could I achieve by trying to design for or finding inspiration in them? It's about me, what I want my legacy to be and how I want to build my brand. I'm done stressing over 'who will buy this?', and 'will it sell?' It will and I now know it. If I can get even a little of my passion across in each piece, if I can see myself in the garment, I've succeeded. Because as Jackie so perfectly said, it's not about what one 'should' be wearing, it's about wearing it well. And doesn't passion look good on everyone?


 My thought for you all today..


Stay fabulous fashionistas

xoxo
Melissa Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment