Monday, June 4, 2012

Rhiannon

Most Mondays, as I awaken to the only day of the week, that somehow, seriously slaps you in the face, it's a struggle to gather strength and face the week with power, poise and pure enthusiasm. On a Monday, the bags under my eyes seem heavier, my hair can't seem to muster the courage to stand at it's tallest, and the excitement I usually feel about getting to work is lost. Not today I decided! I've recently been listening to a whole lot of Stevie Nicks. If ever you need to 'woman-up' or get inspired I highly recommend her. My favourite song of hers (with Fleetwood Mac of course) is Rhiannon. Hauntingly powerful, I've always imagined myself in the song. People often ask what song would be your theme.. Or if you were a fighter about to get in the ring, what song would be the one to get you pumped up and ready to take on the task at hand. Rhiannon is mine. On commenting about the song Nicks said this,
 
"That song [Rhiannon (Will You Ever Win)] is really straight out of the old Welsh mythology. Rhiannon is the Goddess of Steeds and the Maker of Birds, and her song is a song that takes away pain. When you hear her song, you close your eyes and fall asleep, and when you wake up the pain is gone or the danger is gone and you'll see her three birds flying away. That's the legend. So, whenever I sing the song, I always think of that..."
~Stevie Nicks, Music Connection, 1994

I'm not into any kind of mythology, but for me the notion is beautiful. That you can close your eyes and let music take away your fear and pain. So relative to us all I would think.. And more than that, in the lyrics of the song about this woman I've drawn my own conclusion or 'tale' if you will. And in this it speaks to who I am and more than that where I am. That's what getting inspired is all about. Using all kinds of influences to lose yourself, to remove yourself from reality for a while and on bringing yourself back, are all the better for it. Below are some of the lyrics, I'll leave you to discover your own inspiration in the song. Even better, go listen to it!

Rhiannon rings like a bell through the night and
Wouldn't you love to love her?
Takes to the sky like a bird in flight and
Who will be her lover?

All your life you've never seen
A woman taken by the wind
Would you stay if she promised you heaven?
Will you ever win?

She is like a cat in the dark and then
She is the darkness
She rules her life like a fine skylark and when
The sky is starless

I also found some pieces of info about the song, one site said, 'When Nicks sang this in concert, she did so with a lot of passion. At times, she strained her voice singing it to the point that Fleetwood Mac had to cancel shows so she could recover. It was always a crowd favorite.' Well that was me this morning belting out the tune, a burst of energy I plan to carry through my week. It's me and Stevie, the soundtrack to my week..



Stay fabulous fashionistas!

xoxo
Melissa Jane



No comments:

Post a Comment