Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Taking To The Streets

I'm back in full swing design mode! The retail market being what it is, SomersetJane has been making slow changes as a business. In short, I as the designer, will be getting behind sales, no longer will we only be supplying stores - SJ is going on the road! This weekend will be the first of many Saturdays where you'll find our stand at the Irene market. Who better to back the sale of the clothing than me?! I look forward to this new adventure as it'll allow me more control of the brand at a consumer level and I'll also be able to play, highlight one-off pieces and ultimately take the creative side of SomersetJane to a new place without the confines of our retailers demands.

So on thinking about what sort of collection I'd like to launch with at the market, I needed some initial inspiration. Changes, moving, travel, going on the road, getting face-to-face, consumers, personal, personality, individualism.. A string of thoughts and I had it! Take it to the streets..

If I'm going on the road, why shouldn't the new collection? So I compiled my fave most recent 'street-style' pics that have really got me super amped and bursting with ideas. I never design a piece without the idea of what to wear it with or how it would fit in a fully styled ensemble. I need to visualise the whole picture. Who's wearing what and how are they wearing it? I'm not an 'arty-farty' type that finds inspiration in nature or a building, no. For me it's about real fashion, real people. That's who inspires me, and here they are.









Keep in touch with the SomersetJane facebook page for the latest updates as the collection unfolds.
Stay fabulous fashionistas!
xoxo
Melissa Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment