Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Zoe And The Super Model

On Monday the Annual Met Gala was held. An event often attracting celebs to take some fashion risks. I've checked out all the pics and have died over so many of the looks on the carpet. Rather than analysing them all, two looks, stood out for me, Stylist
Rachel Zoe and super model, Karolina Kurkova.





Normally I die over anything Rachel Zoe does. She styled Karolina for the event in a gown of her own design and they walked the carpet together. Clearly Karolina looks totally amaze - it's actually a little sickening. I might have had to wipe the drool off my chin, I'll be honest..
Never mind that body, but the beauty of this gown! The turban, the multiple rings on her hand, I'm in love with it all! I'm going to a wedding this weekend, so I've got bridal on the brain, and even thought how stunning this would be for a Winter wedding gown, too fab!
Anyway, back to super-skinny Zoe. She also wore her own design, crazy though how these two ensembles came from the same place. Rachel looks shapeless and drowning in fringe, has 'mom' hair and statement neck pieces are very now, but what the hell is going on with hers?
So I got to thinking and figured out my thoughts on this..

What separates the two and what makes BOTH these looks fabulous is this. Zoe wears fashion for 'fashion's sake' while KK shows off what most do. Use it to highlight your best features, be sexy and in style, or even dress for men. In my opinion a real fashionista or style icon is someone who can separate themselves, (in body) from the clothing. Wearing the garment for reasons such as a feeling or an emotion it creates, a 'look' you're trying to achieve rather than something that's just pleasing to the eye. Zoe said about her outfit that she just loves fringe and it made her want to dance. What did Karolina's make her want to do? I don't know, but judging from the photos - pout and do a sexy, twisty back pose??

So that was just me drawing my own assumptions and forming my own opinion, but really I've just used these ladies to point out something I feel so passionately about. And that is as I said, wearing fashion for fashion's sake. I do it all the time. I was asked by my brother once why I was wearing a 'nappy' and why I'd want it to be visible. He was referring to the peach coloured bodysuit I was wearing under a sheer chiffon skirt. It was a trend, still is. Does it work going out in a small town, with small minded people? No. Did I wear it anyway? Yes. Countless times I've seen pics of myself after parties and events and asked myself why I wore what I did. Over sized shoulder pads, clashing prints and seriously 'off' accessorising. Fashion is for the moment, for what it can inspire you to do or pretend to become. I'll never completely regret any of my choices, they are what they are - for fashion's sake. So I put a challenge out there. Have more fun, take more risks. Karolina definitely takes best dressed while Rachel fades into the blur of strange choices. Who in my opinion inspires me to fall in love with fashion? Miss Zoe for sure. She sends the best message of all. Wearing what you want because YOU like it is what dressing is really about. It means we don't have to be so conscious of what best suits our bodies or what is directly on trend, ignore a 'wrong' choice or an ill-fitting memory. We can allow fashion to truly make us happy, and happiness is..

Stay fabulous fashionistas,

xoxo
Melissa Jane 



No comments:

Post a Comment