Wednesday, July 4, 2012

SJ and I In The Grazia Mag

I attended the Avant A/W 2012 showcase a few weeks back. Grazia magazine had their 'Style Hunters' there and photographed me, wearing SomersetJane of course! That's me on the left..


The text reads, 'Edgy and glam, Melissa wears a jacket and pants from SomersetJane, earrings from Mr Price and goes for vintage with a shirt and clutch from Hospice. We Say: All round winning look. The print on the shirt and colour work so well together. Let's not forget about her fierce hair.'

Clearly I'm not a model and yes, you know I've already over analyzed the shot and kicked myself for not posing a la Victoria Beckham. Shoulders back, hips forward and almost falling over backwards. Girl knows how to seriously show off her skinny and I'll totally admit to practising in the mirror! Damn it.. But regardless of my personal hang ups I have to admit that turning the page really did have me excited. Mainly for the fact that 'Somersetjane' is on the page. I had to laugh too, as the chick taking down the info about my outfit looked to her partner, when I told her my vintage shirt and clutch were from Hospice, in confusion as to why she hadn't heard of the store before. I had to clarify for her that it was a charity shop. I'm proud that made it onto the page too. Vintage shoppers are deluded by thinking that you should pay more for a vintage or retro piece. Why, when at the end of the day it's really all just someone else's old rags? Why should I pay more just to shop in an organised store? No, I do the 'nitty-gritty' and get into serious vintage 'hunting' mode. So much more rewarding!

With features in the local paper, articles on other blogs, interviews on the web for my Wedding gowns, a fab pic in the Cleo mag and my clothing seen in the Cosmo, slowly but surely SomersetJane is making it onto the scene. I have all these pinned on the wall above my desk, and as I look up from time to time it's exciting to see the progression and dream of the future successes. So I take myself out of it and put my own personal complexes aside (only as I'm hoping the next step will be someone else photographed in the label), and appreciate these little steps. I'm not a child person, but I can understand the fulfilment found in watching something that you've created grow. SomersetJane is my baby, and I'm so holding thumbs and making sure it has a long healthy life..


Stay fabulous fashionistas!

xoxo
Melissa Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment