Monday, February 28, 2011

Not Just A Clothing Line

Vanilla Orchid, Shop No 22 Elridge Square
I don't design clothes, I design dreams. - Ralph Lauren

This past Saturday was the launch of my clothing line, SomersetJane for the first time now available in store. A small event to say 'hello, I've arrived' and to witness the start of what I believe is going to be one fabulous journey. As it turned out the day was wonderful, quiet at times busy at others but most of all successful. As I saw my clothing being sold, to various women, some young, some old, some tall , some short, I began to think of what I'd like to represent for these ladies, what my name will mean in fashion and how to make them see.

A lot of work goes into my line from my side, many hours at a sewing machine, many hours picking and choosing fabrics, more hours folding, cutting and shaving away at patterns getting the perfect fit. What I'd like to think goes more into this fashion process are my dreams. Tucked away in my studio at home is a wealth of inspiration. Not nearly large enough and always a little muddled, within these walls, my energy when I work, my thoughts and prayers, the music I play and all my hopes and dreams get filtered down into every piece and every design. Up on the wall are a collection of sketches and photographs, news paper clippings, certificates, and trophies to remind me of my achievements, to know where I'm going without forgetting where I've been. I'm a big dreamer and am always wondering far off into the future. For now though one dream is coming true. People have access to my clothing and through this I have access to them. 

The work of my hands and my heart will follow each piece that is sold. I wish upon each item worn that it would bring them the joy that it brought me to design it, that as they wear upon them my daily dreams, looking fabulous would inspire them to make theirs come true. So yes I'm sounding all soppy and maybe a little far fetched and silly, and maybe all I do is design clothing, sell it, live off the profits, just a job you know? Well no, I'll never view it as that, even if all this hopes and dreams stuff never comes true. It gets me through my day, it gives this superficial world of fashion and trends some heart and makes my fashion environment all rosy. In taking on the task I have, I need that and I need to believe that dreams do come true, that others will realise theirs and that fashion will link us together. Fashionistas forever....



 

Check out the new range at Vanilla Orchid, Elridge Square Bartlett, Boksburg and soon coming to Mademoiselle Lakefield Square.




 Stay posted for pics of new designs and when they'll be in store!

Yours in style,

Melissa Jane xoxo


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Mel!

    This is fantastic! I am so happy to see you slowly, but surely, reach your dreams.

    Wishing you only the best babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback. Bundle Clothing

    ReplyDelete