Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Mystery Of The Godzilla Gown


Today I'm off to deliver one of my wedding gowns to the Michael Angelo in Sandton for an expo taking place there. Asked by a friend and smart enough to know that any exposure is good exposure, business cards, mannequin and garment bag in hand, I'll be off! Next week too, the bridal theme continues. I'll be meeting with a client about a gown for her big day. Now all this wedding stuff has got those good old bells a ringin'! For me, and as I'm sure for many others, there is an unsolved mystery out there.. The mystery of, 'The Godzilla Gown'.

OK, I'm just gonna put it out there. Where in the world does this obsession with having to look like an over-iced cupcake come from? Mortifying meringue dresses, over the top Cinderella dresses, dresses so large they might eat you alive! No, no, these should never be an option. For me a wedding gown should be a reflection of self, and I may be shattering some 'little-girl' dreams but some parts of the fairy tale just have to be brought to reality. Why this trend didn't die back in 1981 with Princess Diana is beyond me. How can anyone forget the horror the Emmanuels gave us with her bridal gown. Looking back, most of the eighties brings with it a bit of a gag reflex, but for me, never more than this image. She was the personification of every girls dream and they drowned her, neck deep in puffs, flounces and frills! Even in my own experience, just last month actually, 'The Godzilla Gown' took me down. I entered the Bridal Africa Young Designers Competition and made it through two selection processes to the top ten. The theme being 'Absolute Bridal' I took a very real approach in designing the dress and looked at what a marriage and the actual event symbolises. It symbolises love, joy, new beginnings, commitment and a touch of romance. It brings up feelings of happiness, ethereal visions and light. So it had to be feminine, soft, flowing, white and whimsical with a touch of glam just for the runway. So proud was I and so sure of my design when, low and behold, on the day, Godzilla gown kicked my little gown straight to the kerb and claimed first place! A dress so large it swallowed the ramp (and probably some front row fashionistas). I say this with no disrespect to the designer, the craftsmanship she displayed was truly brilliant, and in that regard she deservedly won.

Where in history does this phenomenon come from? And when I say history, I mean the better part of the last hundred years with the obvious exception of the eighties. Hardly anywhere do the gowns of our past reflect this 'faux pas'. It even filters down to 'sweet sixteens', matric farewell or prom dresses. Save these poor people the tragedy! The tulle must be stopped, the taffeta torn, and replaced with refinement and radiance. As I said before, a bridal gown should be a reflection of self. Do you normally wear over sized clothing? Are you a practising princess? If not, then why so on your wedding day? Really think of how you want people to view you. If cultural traditions dictate your attire take full advantage of the direction, these are difficult decisions. You should look like the best and most beautiful version of yourself. The only glow should be coming from your smiling face, not the glare from meters of a blinding white monstrosity!

So now that you've felt my passion for the subject, I'll take a breath and end calmly. It comes down to this. If you're marrying the man of your dreams he's dying to see you, not your dress. He wants to see your face, your figure. Forget shock value or what you think a wedding gown should be. The dress should simply be a fabric extension of you. If you keep this in mind when talking to designers or shopping around you'll end up with the most beautiful version of self, you at your best. And seeing as weddings are a showcase of love, what's not to love about that?

 Top: Jordan's wedding dress - Wow..
 Bottom:  Princess Diana - Beautiful woman, ghastly attack of Godzilla gown.


Yours in style,

Melissa Jane
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment